Friday, August 24, 2007

 

Richard Dawkins Recants on Memes

'I am not going to utter the "m" word [memes]; everybody else keeps saying it and then looking at me, and I am going to duck out of that. I used not to think this, but I am incresingly thinking that nothing but confusion arises from confounding genetic evolution with cultural evolution, unless you are very careful about what you are doing and don't talk as though they are somehow just different aspects of the same phenomenon. Or, if they are different aspects of the same phenomenon, then let's hear a good case for regarding them as such.'

Richard Dawkins, quoted in Michael Shermer, 'The Skeptic's Chaplain: Richard Dawkins as a Fountainhead of Skepticism', Skeptic, Vol. 13 No. 2 2007, p. 45.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?